The Elementary Principal

Encouraging and communicating the daily " goods, GREATS, and not-so greats that the Elementary Principal experiences on a daily basis. Provides a way to share ideas, network, and connect staff, students, and their principals.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Disrespect

Question: How do you deal with outright teacher disrespect towards you as a principal? Do you try to be professional or do you drop the hammer? Do you attempt to make amends or do you deepen the division between you and that employee? How do you handle these types of situations when it's completely unwarranted, undeserved, and unprofessional?

Needless to say this isn't the norm form me but it is something that rears it's head occasionally.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found this blog and read your question. It resonates with me as well. I have tried to walk 'above' the pettiness, I have called the individual in to discuss why there is discontent and try to smooth discontent amicably, but still I continue to deal wiht the negative comments. She does and outstanding job as a teacher, but the negativity towards me is often shared with colleagues and creates a line/barrier at times of trust. I wish I had the answer, too. At what point do you write up a person for just being unpleasant? I would like to know how it turned out for you.

5:15 AM  
Blogger Gary Kandel said...

Great question! My advice is to always look 6 months down the road. You always want to think about the relationship and what you want it to be like between you and the teacher. With that in mind, the direct approach has always worked the best for me. I would suggest approaching the teacher in their classroom. I'd acknowledge their teaching ability but also recognize the negativity. Be honest about your concern and be direct that you would rather learn to work together and build a collaborative working relationship built on honest communication. It's okay to disagree with me but respect me enough to come and tell me. You aren't upset with the difference of opinion. You are offended by the lack of professionalism. Worse case scenario is additional disrespect which removes a lot of guilt about the write up because you know that you have already been upfront and honest. Good luck.

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home